Friday, June 17, 2011

The Green Lantern: Meh.

I am so conflicted as to whether “The Green Lantern” was a huge disappointment because of the writing and acting, or because I just never cared for the character.

Unfortunately for DC Comics, “The Green Lantern” was sort of a swing and a miss, especially since it's last hope at successful comic-to-movie adaptations, “Batman," is coming to a close next year. All this while Marvel Comics is boiling over with success.

I felt as if DC is trying to play catch-up to Marvel and its “Avengers” hype. Are they planning on making a “Justice League” movie? If so, will there be subsequent “Wonder Woman,” “Green Arrow” and “Flash” films?

These are all questions that were floating through my head while I watched “The Green Lantern.”

Ryan Reynolds stars as Hal Jordan, a very cliché ne’er-do-well fighter pilot who plays by his own rules. All of this is made even more formulaic because he is trying to be like his pilot father, who died in a flight test when Jordan was 12.

Despite Jordan’s inability to commit to, well, anything, a cosmic green ring chooses him as protector of Earth and the thousands of galaxies surrounding it. Yes, that’s totally a thing in this universe.

Jordan joins thousands of other “Sector Protectors” as a Green Lantern. And all of them fight for intergalactic peace. All of this is disrupted when an evil force long imprisoned on a forgotten planet is suddenly unleashed. And yes, it’s headed toward Earth.

I never really liked Green Lantern in the comic books because his power was pretty cheesy. Every once in a while he would pop up in some vintage book I’d purchase, and I’d see images of giant green boxing gloves and huge glowing green padlocks smattered across the pages. That seemed like a bit of a stretch to me, even for the pages of a comic book.

So I never followed the character and never became familiar with the concept and plot. The villains and allies in the movie were about as recognizable to me as my face is to Ryan Reynolds.

And in addition to all this apathy toward the character, I was forced to swallow a script that was full of bad lines. But hey, maybe if I see it again I’ll change my mind.

All I know is there were lots of girls in the audience who weren’t there to see a comic book action film. Reynolds is pretty much naked the whole movie (only his skin is colored in with CGI black and green). So if that’s your thing, then you’ll probably like this flick.

When it comes to the DC universe, I’ll get excited over “Batman,” even when an actress I despise is playing Catwoman. But I can’t get hyped up about a hero I never cared about to begin with. Despite the mega-effects, 3-D images and perfectly sculpted bodies, this movie just didn’t cut it for me.

Sorry “Green Lantern,” but I’m denying you a Facebook friendship. We may have lots of friends in common, but I just don’t see us working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment