Friday, June 3, 2011

Yay For Oscar!

Some people wait all year long for two things: Christmas and The Superbowl.




Well in my world, my holiday of choice is Halloween, and the TV event that gets me drooling is The Academy Awards.



Now it' no secret that in recent years the awards ceremony has been a let-down. I'm not going to have any high expectations in that category. The thing I look forward to most is seeing the movies I love get recognition, so this year I'm pleased as proverbial punch because I don't have just one favorite in the running.



In fact, I have more than a few.



The total films I am rooting for this year are up to five, which means I have a 50 percent chance of avoiding the dismay that came to me the years "Braveheart" and "A Beautiful Mind" respectively overtook "Babe" and "Moulin Rouge!" for best pictures.



But best picture isn't the only category I'm rooting for. I'm not apathetic about any category this year, because in a way I feel as if I have a horse in each running. If I were a betting man, I'd head straight to Vegas. It's true, I probably wouldn't win a dime, but for once I would have some serious fun making the attempt.



Here's who your humble critic to the masses of southern Utah has his eye on this year:



"Black Swan"



This is by far my favorite movie of the year. I thought Darren Aronofsky did a wonderful job of bringing this movie to life. Check out my review of "Black Swan" here.



In addition to a best picture nod, this troubled tale of troubled talent is also nominated for film editing, best director, cinematography and best actress (Natalie Portman). I've got my feathers crossed for this one!



"Inception"



OK, so I'm no Leo DiCaprio fan. It speaks to the quality of a movie if I can see past Jack and see a wonderful story with excellent directing and astonishing visual effects. Let's just hope director Christopher Nolan can pull the same stunt with the next Batman installment (because now I've got to look past Christian Bale and Anne Hatheway!).



This movie tripped me out. And for those of you who've seen it, I'm sure you'd agree with me on some level. I'm not dreaming for the day that "Inception" wins best picture, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it did.



"Inception" also has nominations for best original screenplay, best visual effects, best sound mixing and editing, and best original score.



"The King's Speech"



I'll admit I walked into the movie theater expecting to be bored. But a wonderful array of history, writing and performances left me feeling like this was much more than just a movie about a prince overcoming a speech impediment. I even cried at parts (almost).



Deservedly, this movie was nominated for best picture. I think its only real competition comes from "The Social Network." More on that in a little bit. Even though this movie probably should get the biggest achievement in Academy Awards, I'm still hoping my dark ballet favorite will pull ahead.



Other nominations for "King's Speech" are for best original screenplay, best sound mixing, best original score, best film editing, best director (Tom Hooper), best costume design, best cinematography, best art direction, best supporting actress (Helena Bonham Carter) best supporting actor (Geoffrey Rush), and best actor (Colin Firth).



Indeed, this film has the most nominations of all my favorites, so I'm almost guaranteed to win a bet on this won, I mean, one.



"Toy Story 3"



OK fine. I actually did cry in this movie. Twice. That I'll admit.



After a somewhat disappointing sequel, I wasn't expecting much from the final film in the toy trilogy. But when I had to make sure my face was dry after the credits rolled in order to step into the lobby of a metro movie theater in Salt Lake City, I knew this movie was going to win best animated picture. I was overjoyed almost to tears again when I found out it was nominated for best picture as well.



The list of nominations for "Toy Story 3" aren't just limited to best picture and best animated picture. You'll see "3" with nominations for best adapted screenplay, best sound editing, and best original song.



"True Grit"



It wasn't just the Cohen brothers that made this movie one of my favorites for 2011. It was also Jeff Bridges and his scene-stealing portrayal of Rooster Cogburn. Check out my review of "True Grit" here.



This novel adaptation was not only nominated for best picture, but also for best adapted screenplay, bet sound mixing and editing, best directors (Joel & Ethan Cohen), best costume design, best cinematography, best art direction, best supporting actress (Hailee Steinfeld), and best actor (Bridges).



One thing I don't understand is why Steinfeld was nominated for a supporting role when she was clearly the focus of the movie. Oh wait, now I remember. Because that focus was stolen by Bridges. C'est la vie!



Now I'm not limiting my love for films to just those nominated in best film. I'm also rooting for "Alice in Wonderland" for effects, costumes and art direction, "Day & Night" for animated short, and "Tangled" for original song.



But the one movie I will definitely be cheering against is "The Social Network." Yes, there's been nothing but lip service to this movie for the past year, and everyone's betting this Facebook biopic will take the awards by storm.



This may be true, but I don't have to take it sitting down. Some may call my hatred of this movie irrational because I hate it purely for the fact that it's going to ruin the chances my favorite movies have of winning. This feels like "Braveheart" vs. "Babe" and "A Beautiful Mind" vs. "Moulin Rouge!" all over again.



We'll see what Oscar night brings, though. Look for a special "Skewed Review" podcast following the Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment