Friday, June 17, 2011

The Book Of Mormon, Baby.

Oh Broadway, you seem to be more prevalent than ever these days, and if you can't sell us tickets with fabulous songs, then at least you can cash in on pure bad taste.
Not that bad taste is a horrible thing, mind you. I'm not in the business of bashing art that many would deem inappropriate. I say if it's smart and funny, then let it be. Heck, I'm even a proponent of trash that isn't that smart. Filmmaker John Waters is on my top five list of most fabulous directors of all time! (See "Pink Flamingos" very last if you've never seen a Waters film—it truly is offensive.)
I want to give a small review to Waters.
I award him 10 out of 10 overweight drag queens and a month-long stint locked inside an aging movie theater watching only Joan Crawford's worst films. "Straight Jacket" and "Berserk" come to mind. This may sound like a negative review to you, but I'm almost positive it would be akin Christmas morning for Waters.
But I digress because I'm not focusing on film today. No, I'm talking about the oldest profession in the world: acting (performing for money; you know—prostitution).
The latest hit in the Big Apple is the musical "The Book of Mormon." If you haven't heard of this Tony award-winning phenomenon, then you must live electricity-free in the Ozarks and make a living selling moonshine.
"The Book of Mormon" was nominated for 14 Tonys and won nine of them. It beat out "The Producers" for most Tony nominations by two nods. Something tells me this show is pretty good.
I'm too poor to actually fly to New York City and see "The Book of Mormon" live, but I promptly purchased the soundtrack to this theatrical masterpiece the second it was available on iTunes.
The script and music were a collaboration between "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and "Avenue Q" lyricist Robert Lopez. Needless to say, the music and lyrics are purely offensive—especially when taken out of context. Oh, and there's the whole making fun of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints thing.
I played a song for my significant other that sounds like it jumped right out of "The Lion King." However, the lyrics detailed the horrors of African life: poverty, war, infant raping and AIDS (all very real issues in many parts of Africa). But the tune is a bouncing ditty similar to "Hakuna Matata."
Only instead of "no worries," the African people in Uganda (where the two star Mormon missionaries are sent) are singing "F-word you God."
They sing this song because their lives suck more than anything we could possibly imagine. Warlords and female circumcision are not an average American issue. But to Africans, those issues are dealt with every day.
My spouse was very, very not amused.
And so are a lot of Mormons, I've noticed!
I've heard LDS people on the news call the show "blasphemy." Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but I think that's what the show's creators were going for. And in their attempt at shock value, they've effectively become the nation's biggest current Broadway show!
The cast of "Wicked" must be throwing a witch fit right now.
If we LDS people haven't figured out a way to have a sense of humor about ourselves now, then there's just no hope left.
If anything, Mormons should be flattered!
Only in my wildest dreams would there ever be a satirical masterpiece written about me. It would prove to the world I'm important enough to make fun of, but also nice enough to allow the satire in the first place. I'd hate to see the backlash if there was ever a Broadway musical titled "The Quran" (although, I don't see that really being a comedy, either).
The religion portrayed in the musical itself, while grossly inaccurate, shows LDS members as being ridiculously kind to all people, no matter who they are. Seeing the lead character portrayed on the stage at this year's Tonys made me see how others possibly perceive the LDS folk.
The Tony performance summed up the Mormons pretty well, I thought.
Elder Price, who is brought to life by actor Andrew Rannells, belted "I Believe!" at the top of his lungs to a group of African militants and a warlord while they pointed their guns at him. In the face of certain death he grabbed the warlord's hand and tried (unsuccessfully) to dance with him.
How could any person of the Mormon faith say that isn't the essence of LDS values? Love one another. Even if the other is armed and dangerous.
Mormons who live their lives just like Elder Price get six out of seven days to construct their own perfect planet. Take that seventh day and rest. You deserve it.
Unfortunately the world is full of holier than thou types of people. It doesn't matter what you say or who you say it to, someone is going to be offended. Looking over the annals of The Skewed Review certainly proves that.
I'm waiting with baited breath for the Mormon picket lines.
I would like to say to those easily offended LDS peeps, and to everyone else who gets offended as well: Get a sense of humor, gosh darn it! If God didn't want us to make fun of each other, he wouldn't have programmed sarcasm and a sense of irony into our very souls.
I believe—that is, I hope—that God will judge us on our senses of humor. Those who can dish it and laugh at themselves just as much will get a instant front row seat to the Broadway production of "Eternity in Heaven: An Angel's Hilarious Story."
Do you have to agree with everything about "The Book of Mormon?" No. And this goes for both the musical and the actual publication. But can we all agree that both of them are great in different ways? I think so.
One will make you laugh out loud, and the other is a Tony-award winning musical.
If you didn't laugh at that, I'm sorry, but you don't get front row seats.
Since this debate is sure to continue as time goes by, The Skewed Review will keep updating with tidbits of snarkolepsy (you know, that thing where I write stuff without realizing what I'm writing).
Follow on Twitter @SkewedReview and "like" The Skewed Review on Facebook to get in on the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment