Friday, June 3, 2011

Super Bowl ads

While it's usually a good idea to do one's best, there can be a downside to over achieving: any subsequent achievements seem sub-par by comparison.




Yes, this can apply to school work I guess, and it may even be applicable in the workplace, but on this day I'm speaking of the Super Bowl commercials.



Is it just me, or were the commercials funnier and more engaging in years past? This year they didn't quite meet my ad standards.



Call me weird (and most people do), but this year I DVR'd the Super Bowl and skipped all the playing so I could watch just the commercials. Hey, I already knew the Colts would win, so what was I missing?



There were so many issues with the Super Bowl ads this year. There was so much hype and it all just fell so short.



My first review goes to the folks over at Budweiser. Usually the beer commercials give me a chuckle, but this year each commercial seemed to be an advertisement for why people need Alcoholics Anonymous. It was just a parade of drunken people doing things like riding a giant telescope and using a jet engine filled with water as a hot tub.



Those special people who wrote those commercials get two slaps on the face and a month in celebrity rehab. They need to kick their addiction to bad writing and unfunny commercials.



Next up we have Doritos. Like Budweiser, the Doritos commercials appeared at least once during every commercial break, and each commercial sucked more than the last. I guess they assumed as the Super Bowl went on, the folks viewing would be getting more and more drunk and therefore would find the commercials amusing.



Well I, being the sober Sally that I am, found absolutely nothing amusing about the Doritos commercials. In fact, one spot in particular made the chips look sickening. I won't get into it, but in the commercial a man uses his Doritos as a weapon. 'Nuff said.



It has to be a whole day consuming nacho cheese Doritos for the writers of those commercials, and then having to dress completely in white with no hand washing allowed. To make this review even more compelling, they then have to meet B-rock Obama.



However, knowing Barack as we all do, he would see these orange stained white clothes and call for clean clothes reform. The House and Senate would be battling out their version of a Laundromat bill for the next year. Of course, that's an entirely separate review.



Having been a fan of talk radio for some time now, I heard rumors over the airways about a controversial commercial starring 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow.



The buzz was this Focus on the Family commercial was pro-life and would illustrate that, had Tebow been aborted as a fetus, he wouldn't be alive today to win the Heisman.



Oh, the outrage. I was looking forward to this particular commercial merely for the conflict that might ensue.



This commercial, like all the others, just wasn't up to par. It was basically his mother talking about what a wonderful boy he is, and then he tackled her. I have one word for this so-called controversial commercial: lame.



I have so many options for this review. However, since I seem to stir up trouble when it comes to these types of issues, I'll just leave it at this: Hyping an audience who's waiting for a fracas-causing ad and then giving them something mundane is ludicrous. Don't do that again.



There were the usually funny talking babies representing E*TRADE, which amused me to the extent that taking a test amuses me.



There was a potentially hilarious violin-fiddling beaver who was looking for a new job, but his fiddling fell far from fantastic.



And who could forget Megan Fox naked in the bathtub taking pictures of herself with a Motorola phone? I thought there was a nationwide campaign to discourage sexting? Oh well.



There were three commercials that entertained and enlightened me, and all three were for Denny's.



Commercial No. 1 looked as if it was going to be super stupid, but then came the chickens. Yes, chickens screaming because Denny's would be offering free breakfast, and therefore would be serving up many eggs.



Commercial No. 2 had the chickens continuing their screaming. From a White House chicken to an astronaut chicken, the screams were hilarious.



Commercial No. 3, for some reason, had a woman blowing out some candles on a cake. I thought it was an ad for something else. Then, to my surprise, a chicken popped up in front of the elderly birthday-babe and screamed. Ah, sweet delight. My guffaw was epic.



I believe it is six months for Denny's to be an actual restaurant. It shall be a place that's not associated with white trash and midnight drunken pancake fests. It shall be a place where the drug-addicts don't go at 3 a.m., but rather where the sophisticated gather. Huzzah to Denny's for making me laugh. Once I overcome my fear of being mugged, I just might frequent their establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment