Monday, August 31, 2009

A Local Review

This will be in Wednesday's edition of the Dixie Sun. It's a review of a local pizza joint that just opened up. Bland, I know, but my opinion column will be far more entertaining.

Monday I decided it was time to stop driving by Brick Oven at 1410 E Saint George Blvd, and actually step inside for a look and a taste.

The first thing I noticed was an abundance of children running past me as I entered the doors. I was skeptical and didn't think this would be the place for me. Not that I don’t love children, but there’s something about herds of kids gallivanting around while I’m trying to eat that just makes my appetite decrease.

As soon as I entered the foyer, however, the smell of the cooking pizzas and the extraordinary service dumped the screaming children from my mind. I was greeted with enthusiasm and shown to a table almost immediately. I did tell them I was going to write a review for the Dixie Sun, so I made sure to keep an eye on the way they treated other customers too, just to make sure they weren’t giving me special treatment.

From observing the tables around me and the service they were getting, it seemed that while they treated me like I was someone super-special, I wasn’t any more super-special than any of the other patrons. We were all V.I.P. diners.

What good is service if the food isn’t that grand? My waitress, Erin, told me that on Monday nights you get free Brick Oven root beer with your meal, so I decided to take advantage of that. The root beer was very sweet. You may like that sort of thing, but for me, it kind of felt like I was drinking sugar water with crushed up root beer barrels in it.

The pizza I ordered, though, was fabulous. I tried the chicken-artichoke with alfredo sauce instead of marinara. There are plenty of pizza joints around St. George, but I was drawn to Brick Oven’s mix and match your own pizza menu, even trading out the regular red sauce for something more exotic.

For this gourmet pizza dinner, home-made root beer, and outstanding service, the check added up to only $10.

The menu is very reasonably priced, ranging for from $8 for individual meals, on up to the largest $20 pizza. The entire menu and prices can be viewed at http://www.brickovenrestaurant.com/menus.html.

Gather a group of friends at Brick Oven and order a huge pizza. I can already guarantee their pies are far superior to Little Caesars‘, and the ambiance and cleanliness of the whole restaurant is just groovy.

There was also an extensive dessert menu, and while everything looked tempting, I had stuffed myself with chicken artichoke pizza, so I honestly couldn’t get anything down over the size of a cookie, so it was a cookie I ordered. Imagine my amazement when I was served a cookie about the size of a pancake. It ended up being my midnight snack later on that night.

I definitely endorse this restaurant as the place to gather before the football games, or after a weekend movie. The entire staff is friendly, the service is quick and the pizzas are great. Monday night is the night to be there, because it’s free root beer for everyone after 5 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment