Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We did this! Go Equality Utah!

Linda Stay explains to press and onlookers about the I-15 Billboard and the efforts
it took to get it there. Equality Utah is now a presence in the St. George area, and this 
will be the first of many endeavors focused on equal rights in southern Utah.

It’s interesting what a little visual stimulation will do when you feel like you can’t get things done.


I was tapped for my journalistic abilities back in March to write and distribute press releases for a group called Equality Utah. The group itself is constantly aiding Utah residents in their quest for equal rights. It just so happens the major focus of their endeavors are on gay Utahns and their families.


The success of Equality Utah has been astounding. They (along with support from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) have already helped pass anti-discrimination laws in multiple northern Utah cities, and now they are focusing on St. George and the surrounding areas.


Luckily there was a married couple with gusto to not only start an Equality Utah presence in southern Utah, but start it with style, determination, and--get this--rookies.


Yes, when activist Linda Stay called me and asked if I would be willing to contribute to putting this whole gala fund-raising organization together, the first thing I thought was, “Why me?”


But that was the goal of Stay and her husband Steve the entire time: recruit new blood that hasn’t been jaded by experience.


For that truly gutsy move, I need to give this loving couple nine out of 10 stars that will shine in the eyes of people who will know they have job and home security in St. George one day because of the Stay’s efforts.


But “jaded by experience” is most definitely not a phrase that accurately describes me. In fact, it’s exactly the opposite. Not only had I never been on a committee to raise money, but I was also still in college learning my trade. This was all brand new to me. I literally had no idea where to start.


Since my life is journalism, I offered my services to write press releases. In fact, this had been the first time in my life I had ever written a press release outside of college. It was also my duty to contact media outlets not only across Utah, but also across the nation.


We wanted the country to know that Utah was not a discriminating state. I believe, as did every person on the committee for that first gala, that the majority of Utahns are raised with good values and believe no one should lose his or her job or house based on sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, or color.


I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Utah’s motto really is, “Love one another.”


Since it was my first attempt at a full-scale media junket, there were a few hiccups. I learned very quickly who was willing to cover issues that dealt with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, and those who would rather keep it out of their particular media outlets completely.


Luckily, the Dixie Sun (whom I am a proud editor of) was a big media presence at that first gala called “Building Bridges in Southern Utah.” Our reporter Taylor Grin covered the event wonderfully, and Bryan Uhri took some beautiful photos as well. Their story and photos can be found here.


I myself did no reporting whatsoever because we have a strict conflict of interest code at the Dixie Sun.


But not many other media representatives responded to my press release. So needless to say, I still had some learning to do.


I just need to throw in a little review about The Spectrum. Please note I have another (and better) review later, so keep that in mind. The woman I spoke to over the phone at The Spectrum sounded genuinely interested in this huge fundraising event at Kayenta. Interested that is, until I told her it was for equal rights for gay people and their families.


You’d better believe I was shot down quicker than Bin Laden.


That particular person who shan’t be named gets one out of one snorkel. The purpose is so she can breathe while she has her head so far up her--well, you get the point.


Despite the lack of media attention, the event itself was wonderful. We honored two local people who have done nothing but help locally in the struggle for equal rights. St. George residents Claudia Bradshaw and Chris McArdle both received recognition for their efforts.


But most importantly we raised money that will go directly toward the southern Utah chapter of Equality Utah. The fruition of our labors was officially unveiled yesterday, and it almost made me cry.


Anyone coming into St. George on northbound on I-15 will see a beautiful billboard that states: “LGBT. Let’s talk equality. EqualityUtah.org/South.”


I reluctantly sent another press release to The Spectrum, and I expected no response. But to my surprise a reporter contacted me the day of the event. He was professional and seemed genuinely interested in the story.


For that I think The Spectrum deserves a 75 percent increase in its online subscriptions, and a big aquarium for that other woman to swim around in. We’ve got to put that snorkel to good use, you know!


It was humbling to see something tangible happening from my efforts. But my efforts were little to nothing compared to the efforts of the Stays and countless other local volunteers who have worked tirelessly to bring equal rights to everyone in southern Utah. My biggest contribution were a few press releases, many phone calls, and a couple of appearances.


Compared to everyone else who made this possible, I am just that lazy guy who sits on his computer pretending to do work while everyone busts their butts in order to get the job done.


Congratulations, southern Utah. Equality Utah is now an official presence here, and I got to help in a very, very small way. I see nothing but good things because of it.


Find out more about the entire project at EqualityUtah.org/south.
Matty Jacobson (yours truly) gets interviews for Southern Utah Now News. He
was responsible for press releases and media contacts but did the least
amount of work for the whole campaign. The real credit goes to Linda and Steve
Stay and the rest of the original committee for their tireless efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment