Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A little Skewed Review On A Chick Named Catwoman

It's no secret I'm a comic book geek. In fact, I dedicated an entire Skewed Review on the attributes of Catwoman. I highly suggest you read it if you haven't already. 

Well, I'm dedicating another to her today. But  This one isn't focused on her as a character, but rather her incarnations. This will be just a quick run-down of my favorite feline throughout the years and a few subsequent reviews on each. 

Here we see the classic '60s "Batman" version of Catwoman. This campy little minx was the reason I started loving comic books in the first place. I recall watching reruns of the show when I was about six years old. My favorite episodes were always the ones that featured Julie Newmar or Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. I later discovered the '60s movie with Lee Meriwether as Catwoman and I loved her, too. Swingin' '60s Catwoman gets 9 out of ten cat suits and a shout-out Adam West style, "This is Cat-astrophic!"



This was the comic book costume version of Catwoman that was a staple for many years. Most of my "Catwoman" issues featured this costume. Who could say "no" to those black boots and purple cowl? It was about this time when Catwoman stopped being more of a villain and started transitioning into hero mode. She had an on-and-off again relationship with Batman, and seemed to share many of his traits: She was wealthy, had a butler, and would don a sexy outfit and go out crime fighting at night. Imagine what the bad guys were thinking when they got the handle end of the bull whip to the face by a woman wearing this gravity-defying costume! I give this costume five out of five purple spray tans (since that's basically what it is) and one large Gucci tote to carry all the things she can't fit in her non-existent pockets.


This beauty is the creme de la creme of Catwoman design. Tim Burton's re-imagining of my favorite comic book character has been my favorite incarnation to date. Not only is the outfit absolutely genius, but Michelle Pfeiffer also pulled off the role gloriously. I was obsessed with this movie for Catwoman alone. Who can deny that this version of Catwoman is the absolute model in which all other Catwomen are compared? I give this this Catwoman 10 out of 10 butchered vinyl jackets and 100 spools of thick white thread to patch together the sexiest outfit ever. Mee-ouch!

Ugh. Then came this atrocity. For some reason, some executive somewhere decided it would be a good idea to reboot the Catwoman character in her own movie. OK, I'm all for that idea. But when you take the character and basically rape it, then I immediately change my opinion on the subject. Since the character in this film wasn't even named Selena Kyle, I'm standing by my guns when I say Halle Berry wasn't even a real Catwoman. This costume looks like something you'd buy at Wal-Mart. The story was absolutely awful, and Berry was even worse. I rate this Catwoman with zero out of five sexual Batman encounters, and one week straight of getting whipped by a better sexy black Catwoman: Eartha Kitt.




The comic books evolved, of course. Catwoman lost her oh-so-sexy painted-on suit and donned a more sensible outfit. But I'm not knocking it. I think it's still purr-fect for Catwoman. Her latest get-up features a cleavage-bearing suit with night-vision goggles and actual storage space on various parts of her outfit. The new Catwoman comes in many forms. In some of the comics she goes out in only the cat suit. In others, she's full on suited up with goggles and a leather jacket. In any event, today's Catwoman is more like Batman than ever. She's fully-quipped with all sorts of gadgets--only she doesn't limit her storage space to just a little utility belt. She has a variety of backpacks, belts, straps and various other such nonsense to keep weapons and stow her spoils of burglary. I rate this Catwoman with 10 out of 10 days in the jungle--which she would totally survive of course, because her latest outfit is equipped to do so.



And here's what we're going to be stuck with now. Christopher Nolan is bringing Selena Kyle back to the big screen in "The Dark Knight Rises." Look, we all know that he reinvented the series with less camp. His "Batman Begins" was the least-grossing of the Batman franchise. I believe it's because people want Batman villains to be over-the-top! That's why "The Dark Knight" is still the best-grossing of the "Batman" series: Because Heath Ledger's Joker was a face-painted villain who wore purple and laughed at everything! Now Nolan cast Anne Hathaway of all people to play Catwoman, and he's going to dress her like her character in "Get Smart." This costume is bad-ass, but it's definitely no Catwoman. But I guess I can't really give this a review until I see the movie. But right now she looks like something out of Tron. Stay tuned for my Skewed Review on Hathaway's version of the best female comic book character out there. In the meantime, follow The Skewed Review on Twitter @SkewedReview and like it on Facebook: facebook.com/theskewedreview.

All photos courtesy of various people. No seriously, these were all found on Google. I'm not making any money off this website, and each photo was released as a promotion by its respective production company. I have no monetary gain from using these pictures and am only recycling them. If you honestly have a problem with me using any of these images, let me know and I'll replace it with a different one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment