Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Next time I decide to quit, I'll make sure to become a media darling FIRST!

Steven Slater, of JetBlue fame, finally resigned, according to the Associated Press.

What? I thought he was fired! This just goes to show that JetBlue is more concerned with covering its own ass then doing what is best for its customers, or at least what is best for the company.

Had it been I who yelled at a paying customer, stolen two cases of beer, and deployed an emergency exit to escape the situation, not only would I have been arrested upon landing on the tarmac, but I also would have been fired that very second.

But because the little guy is so under appreciated in this day and age, Slater was given a hero's welcome home (after being released from jail) and has been a media darling ever since.

Don't let this particular post steer you into false thinking. Let me make it absolutely clear: I applaud Slater. He really is a hero who decided enough was enough. The point of this post is to show that PR control by companies is always the bottom line.  I'm sure if JetBlue was positive that no media would ever get wind of what happened that day, Slater would have been terminated and never given the chance to resign.

No comments:

Post a Comment