Monday, October 10, 2011

I Root For Red When I Swap Spit

Big Dee, Raging Red, school spirit and game attendance—ugh. I've had enough.

Now, believe it or not, our last issue of Dixie Sun got me a little down. After all, I've never been the epitome of the school spirit type. I guess I could say, "My blood runs red," but that's only because it's a scientific fact. Show me a person whose blood isn't red, and I'll give you whatever cash I'm carrying at the moment.

By the way, don't carry cash, people. You're just asking to get mugged. I know I never do.
When I found out what the percentage of students was who showed up to each game, I got depressed. I mean, I'm not about to start showing up myself, but you get the idea.

Since I'm not a big football guy, then there has to be something else I can entertain myself with on campus, right? There seems to be that one school activity that constantly brings me back to school when I'm not required to: Homecoming.

Football is a hackneyed topic during the season. I've never actually been to a Dixie State College football game on account that I like to bet on my sports. I would never bet against my home team. You see my dilemma. So instead, I just don't go.

So rather than ranting about football, I'll focus on something a little more fun for me: becoming a True Rebel.

For those of you with less school involvement than even me, let me give you a little background.
Becoming a True Rebel dates back to the days when the famed fountain was built. On Homecoming night, students would wait until the stroke of midnight, remove their shoes, and then make out in the fountain until they were soaking wet.

I myself am the offspring of two devoted DSC graduates. My grandpa used to head up the English department, and I think I'm slowly becoming the protégé of one of DSC's favorite sons: Ernie Doose.
He was a member of the original Raging Red back when it was called Program Bureau, and you didn't have to audition to get in. But I digress.

But when I first started going to school (back in 2001), I took a date to the dance and we hung around and waited for midnight. Once the bell tolled, she and I, and two other couples, got into the fountain and started sharing tongues with each other. She was just a friend. I don't want to confuse anyone here.
I think the campus security guard who cited us all was just waiting for someone to try and have a little fun.

That's right. We got in trouble for trying to carry on a dying tradition.
Whoever that security guard was, I'm giving him a review of 10 out of 10 midnights in the fountain—on the jet stream pump.

I took a little time off to go back to work and eventually returned to pursue my love of writing. And yes, that does mean I've got a good 10 years on most of you.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the tradition had not only been resurrected, but the campus was also promoting it!

I'm very glad the powers that be have stopped being such wieners and have at least tried to preserve some amount of tradition. For the small effort, I'm awarding them each (whomever they may be) a sleeping bag. That way board members can sleep on the steps of the Administration building while they wait for it to open.

That's a DSC historical reference. Look it up.

It has always weighed heavily on my heart that the politically correct world has forced our school, which is so rich in history and tradition, to eliminate our once proud mascot. We were, after all, the Rebels once upon a time. What makes a person want to lash out against opposing teams more than a rebel? But he's dead and gone now.

I think that was the day my school spirit died.

But on one night (or is it two now?), It just makes me want to cry like John Boehner when I see hormonal young adults filing into the fountain to make out with their girlfriends, boyfriends, best friends, strangers, cousins or whomever.

The True Rebel tradition gets a very positive review. I give it five out of five soaking wet underwear. In some situations, that would be a horrible review indeed. But in this case, it's not.

Share your True Rebel story with us! Find "The Skewed Review" and Dixie Sun on Facebook, and follow Matty on Twitter @SkewedReview.

No comments:

Post a Comment